USS Warrington (DD-30)

USS Warrington (DD-30)

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

USS Warrington (DD-30)

USS Warrington (DD-30) was a Paulding class destroyer that took part in the US intervention in Mexico in 1914, operated from Queenstown for six months in 1917 and then from Brest for the rest of the First World War.

The Warrington was named after Lewis Warrington, an officer in the US Navy who fought in the Quasi-War with France, the campaign against the Barbary pirates and the War of 1812, where he commanded the Peacock during her victory over HMS Epervier. Later in his career he held a series of senior posts within the Navy, including a brief spell as Secretary of the Navy after the sitting secretary was killed during a gunnery demonstration.

The Warrington was laid down on 21 June 1909 at Philadelphia, launched on 18 June 1810 and commissioned on 20 March 1911. She joined the Atlantic Torpedo Fleet in August 1911 and took part the normal peace time operations of the fleet. On 29 December 1912 she was close to the Virginia Capes, operating with Destroyer Divisions 8 and 9, when she was hit by a schooner that emerged unexpectedly in the darkness. Early destroyers weren't robust ships, and the schooner cut 30 feet off the Warrington's stern. As a result she could no longer move under her own power. She was quickly joined by the Sterett (DD-27), Walke (DD-34) and Perkins (DD-26), but they were unable to get a tow line across. Eventually a revenue cutter managed to take the Warrington under tow, and got her safely back to the Norfolk Navy Yard.

The Warrington was out of action for nearly a year, and the repairs weren't completed until 2 December 1912. She then rejoined her former unit, by this point called the Atlantic Torpedo Flotilla. She spent the next four years taking part in the normal peace time routine of the fleet, from her bases at Newport and then Boston.

The Warrington took part in the US intervention in Mexico in 1914 and anyone who served on her between 22 April-2 May or 14-27 May qualified for the Mexican Service Medal.

Amongst her pre-war commanders was Isaac Foote Dortch, who later went on to command the Wadsworth (DD-60) and Talbot (DD-114), and who had the destroyer USS Dortch (DD-670) named after him.

After the US entry into the First World War on 6 April 1917 the Warrington began six weeks of patrols off Newport, guarding against any possible German U-boat attack on the naval base. On 21 May she left Boston as part of one of the earlier groups of ships to move to Europe, and on 1 June 1917 she reached the naval base at Queenstown in southern Ireland.

The Warrington was based at Queenstown for six months. During that time she spent much of her time on anti-submarine patrols, a fairly ineffective way of combating the U-boat threat, and escorting individual ships across the danger zone. During her period at Queenstown she had no encounters with U-boats.

In November 1917 she was ordered to move to Brest, arriving on 29 November. She continued to carry out a similar mix of duties, with convoy escort becoming an increasingly important aspect of her role. Her only encounter with a U-boat came on 31 May 1918, after U-90 sank the Navy transport President Lincoln. The Warrington was at sea escorting a coastal convoy at the time, and rushed to scene to rescue the survivors. She picked up 433 men and the Smith (DD-17) rescued a further 687. The Warrington later had to transfer some of the survivors to the Smith after she ran short of food. One man, Lt Isaacs, was taken by U-90 and later reported that the Warrington and Smith's depth charges did indeed come close to the submarine.

In October 1918 she helped escort Troop Convoy 70 on the last stage of its voyage across the Atlantic. This convoy was noteworthy for suffering a high number of fatalities early in the great Influence Epidemic

Anyone who served on her between 27 June 1917 and 11 November 1919 qualified for the First World War Victory Medal.

The Warrington staying in European waters until the spring of 1919 and didn't leave Brest until 22 March 1919. She reached the US in May and spent the rest of her time in commission in the Philadelphia Navy Yard (including some time in dry dock). She was decommissioned on 31 January 1920, struck off on 20 March 1935 and sold for scrap on 28 June 1935.

Displacement (design)


Displacement (loaded)


Top Speed

29.5kts design
32kts at 17,393shp at 887 tons on trial


3-shaft Parson turbines
4 Normand boilers
12,000shp normal
17,393shp trial


3,000nm at 16kts design
3,343nm at 15kts on trial
2,642nm at 20kts on trial




26ft 3in


Five 3in/50 guns
Six 18in torpedo tubes in three twin mounts

Crew complement



18 June 1810


20 March 1911


Sold for scrap 1935

Books on the First World War |Subject Index: First World War

Final Summer for USS Warrington.

Many Americans probably believed that by 1972, the war in Vietnam was essentially winding down. However, for the U.S. Navy in Vietnam, 1972 would prove to be a busy year of conducting numerous and dangerous combat operations. Another example of events that year happened in mid-July 1972, to USS Warrington (DD 843) a Gearing class destroyer while assigned to Operation “Linebacker.”

Warrington had departed from her homeport in Newport, RI on June 5, and headed, via the Panama Canal and Pearl Harbor, for Guam in the Mariana Islands. Arriving at Apra Harbor, Guam on June 30. The ship departed Apra Harbor the following day, bound for Subic Bay, Philippines. She departed from Subic Bay early on July 6, reaching Vietnamese waters later the same day. During her first period on the Vietnam gunline, Warrington conducted naval gunfire support (NGFS) missions along the coast of the I Corps zone of South Vietnam. On July 15, she briefly put into port of Da Nang, after departing Da Nang, she headed for the coast of North Vietnam to participate in Operation “Linebacker.”[1]

USS Warrington (DD 843).*

On July 16, she relieved Hamner (DD 718) of “Linebacker” duty and began her primary mission the destruction of North Vietnamese small craft and observation of communist Chinese merchant shipping. The following morning, while operating in company with USS Hull (DD 945) and USS Robison (DDG 12), Warrington came under the rapid and heavy fire from enemy shore batteries but she took prompt evasive action and avoided damage.[2][4]

Later that same afternoon at 1316, off the coast of North Vietnam, near Dong Hoi, the ship was rocked by two underwater explosions close aboard on her port side. There are accounts that the ship did not receive any messages warning about laid mines in the area. None-the-less the ship entered an area where U.S. aircraft jettisoned bombs and mines, so the mines the ship had stuck were ours.[3] It also could have been the case that some bombs and mines were not dropped where they should have been, and Warrington simply stumbled onto mislaid mines.[4] She had suffered serious damage in her after fire room, engine room, and in the main engine room or main control. Warrington’s crew had been able to control the damage and flooding from the mine explosions, which enabled the ship to retire from the area under her own power.[1][3]

Warrington, listing to port from damage caused by striking the mines.*

Hull came alongside Warrington to transfer repair personnel, pumps, and shoring equipment to Warrington to address continuing flooding. Before returning to station, Hull also transferred boiler feedwater to help the ship to maintain boiler operation. Later, the damage forced her to shut down her propulsion plant and ask USS Robison for a tow.[1]

Throughout the night of July 17 and 18, the crew struggled against flooding caused by ruptured fuel oil and fresh water tanks, but she remained afloat. The next morning Robison turned the tow over to USS Reclaimer (ARS-42) for the first leg of the passage to Subic Bay. On July 20, USS Tawakoni (ATF-114) took over the tow from Reclaimer and arriving in Subic Bay on July 24. Throughout the six-day passage, Warrington’s crew worked to control the flooding and keep their ship afloat.[1][5]

Once the ship was back at Subic Bay, the Navy’s initial intent was to repair the ship and return her to service, but in August, an inspection and survey found her to be unfit for further naval service. Warrington was decommissioned on September 30, in Subic Bay.

The empty and deserted Warrington (DD 843) awaiting her final fate in Subic Bay, Philippines.*

“ A stark reminder of what could happen .” My ship USS Rich (DD 820) docked on November 18, 1972 at the Subic Bay Naval Station in Subic Bay Harbor at 0710. The ship would remain in Subic Bay for six days while making the necessary preparations and alterations to enter the combat zone of Vietnam. From our berth, USS Warrington was clearly visible where she was moored at another berth in the ship repair facility. The ship was abandoned now and had a mystic look about her similar to that of an empty and deserted old house.

The now deserted and dark USS Warrington stood as a stark reminder to me and many in our crew of what could happen to any ship operating in the waters along Vietnam’s coast…To read “Striking Eight Bells,” use one of the following links to various booksellers: Books, Barnes and Noble Booksellers, BAM –Books A Million and eBooks.

The stories in these posts and the book “Striking Eight Bells: A Vietnam Memoir,” reflect the author’s recollection of events. Some names, locations, and identifying characteristics have been changed to protect the privacy of those depicted. Dialogue has been recreated from memory. Dates, times, and locations were recreated from declassified U.S. Navy records and others. Photographs used are either public domain or owned by the author. Illustrations and maps used were either created by the author or in the public domain. The stories in these posts and the book are solely the opinion of the author and not the publisher, Richter Publishing, LLC.

*Image was found in public domain or it could not be established after reasonable search, that any claim existed to the image. Image used for illustrative purposes only and is not the property of the author. Where ever possible credit for the image is indicated in the caption.


USS Warrington was built at Kearny, New Jersey in 1935. She was commissioned at New York in 1938 and started her career with a shakedown cruise to the West Indies. In May of that year, Warrington underwent training and maneuvers in the Atlantic, which continued until 1939 when she was sent to Key West as an escort vessel for President Roosevelt’s tour of the Caribbean. In March 1939, USS Warrington was sent to San Diego and conducted operations along the West Coast for the remainder of that year. Pearl Harbor was her home until shortly before the attacks, when she was sent on neutrality patrols.

USS Warrington put to sea the day after the attacks on Pearl Harbor after being moored in Charleston for some time. She returned to the Pacific and operated escort and patrol missions for the next 16 months of the war. After this, she moved on to Guadalcanal and took part in invasions and escort missions in the area. After many voyages around the South and Western Pacific, she returned in June 1944 to the Atlantic and to New York for repairs. On September 10, 1944, she headed for Trinidad but never made it. After encountering a hurricane, the ship took on water and was sunk. Most of the crew of the USS Warrington abandoned ship, but only 5 officers and 68 men were recovered alive.

The Sinking Of The USS Abraham Lincoln

The centennial of the end of World War I is brought anniversary after anniversary of catastrophic events. The United States didn’t enter the war until it had been in progress for about three years and the Germans had already established a policy of unrestricted submarine warfare meaning they intended to sink all ships regardless if they were military vessels or not.

The U-boats surrounded the waters of Western Europe as the United States had begun shipping troops and supplies to France. The USS Abraham Lincoln, ironically built for Germany, became a victim of German U-boat U-90 on the 31 st of May 1918 six hundred miles off the coast of France. She had made five successful trips between New York and France carrying over 20,000 troops to Europe.

Sinking of the USS President Lincoln

It was on a return trip to New York carrying seven hundred passengers and crew including some wounded and ill soldiers back to the United States that she was torpedoed not once but three times on her port side. Commander Percy W. Foote, U.S.N. was eating breakfast when the ship was hit. Upon reaching the bridge, he surveyed the situation and ordered everyone to abandon ship.

An SOS was broadcast and all but seven men who were instantly killed when the torpedo hit the ship as well as Lieutenant Commander Mowat (P.C), the senior paymaster, Lieutenant Commander Whiteside (M.C), the senior doctor and Ensign Johnson (P.C), the junior paymaster were able to make their way to lifeboats and rafts.

As the men were floating on the sea waiting for rescue, the U-boat commanded by Walter Remy returned and sailed among the rafts and life boats looking for senior officers to capture. On such occasions, officers removed any indications of rank so as to blend in with the rest of the men but Lieutenant E. V. M. Isaacs, U.S.N. was identified and taken prisoner. Isaacs later escaped from the German prison camp and was awarded the Medal of Honor.

Edouard Izac, Medal of Honor recipient

Admiral Henry Braid Wilson, U.S.N. had received the SOS and immediately dispatched two destroyers, the Warrington, commanded by Lieutenant Commander George W. Kenyon, U.S.N. and the Smith commanded by Lieutenant Commander J.H. Klein, U.S. N. The survivors of the USS President Lincoln were busy trying to gather and secure the lifeboats and rafts together for safety but a rough sea and the U-90 occasionally popping up while waiting to destroy the rescue ships made this difficult.

Admirals Wilson, Coontz and Rodman.

About fourteen hours after the ship was struck the two rescue destroyers arrived to collect the survivors. Because of the pitch dark of the moonless night, the U-90 was unable to get a good target to destroy either of the rescue ships which kept their position until daylight in order to search for more survivors.

The submarine narrowly escaped destruction when the Smith dropped depth charges and left the area, no longer a threat to the two destroyers. The ships sailed for Brest, France and arrived safely with Admiral Wilson welcoming the survivors.

German U-boat during the WWI.

In 1922, Commander Foote wrote an article about his experience in Volume 48/7/233 of the U.S. Naval Institute’s magazine, Proceedings praising his men for their efficiency and courage during their ordeal claiming “their clock-like performance of duty will always fill with pride the heart of the commanding officer.”

Foote also praised the performance of Admiral Wilson for sending help so quickly and Kenyon, the commander of the Warrington, for arriving quickly and navigating so deftly that they arrived at the exact spot of the lifeboats in pitch dark even though they had floated fifteen miles away from the site of the sinking.

USS Warrington (DD-30) off Brest, France in 1918

During her career, the U-90 sunk thirty ships and damaged two including thirteen British ships, four American ships, eight French ships, one Portuguese, one Danish, one Spanish and one Russian sailing vessel before surrendering on November 20th, 1918.

USS Warrington (i) (DD 383)

USS Warrington shortly before her loss

USS Warrington (Cdr. Samuel Frank Quarles, USN) was caught in a violent storm in the Atlantic going to Trinidad. 130 knot winds brought the ship to a standstill while waves pounded her hull to pieces. Sea water flooded the engine room, cutting off all power and damaging the steering mechanism. She took a list to starboard and rolled over, sinking stern first about 175 nautical miles east-south-east of Great Abaco Island, Bahamas Islands in position 27º00'N, 73º00'W.

Only 73 survivors were found, including the Commanding officer. 248 men were lost.

Commands listed for USS Warrington (i) (DD 383)

Please note that we're still working on this section.

1Cdr. Leighton Wood, USN9 Feb 19382 Feb 1940
2Cdr. Frank George Fahrion, USN2 Feb 194022 Apr 1941 ( 1 )
3Harold Raymond Fitz, USN22 Apr 1941late 1941
4Lt.Cdr. Harold Raymond Demarest, USNlate 194130 Aug 1943
5T/Lt.Cdr. Robert Alden Dawes, Jr., USN30 Aug 194315 Aug 1944 ( 1 )
6T/Cdr. Samuel Frank Quarles, USN15 Aug 194413 Sep 1944

You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.

Media links

USS Warrington (DD-30) - History

Kaiser Wilhelm II , a 19,361 gross ton passenger steamer built at Stettin, Germany, was completed in the spring of 1903. Designed for high speed trans-Atlantic service, she won the Blue Ribband for the fastest crossing in 1906. In the years before the outbreak of World War I, she made regular trips between Germany and New York, carrying passengers both prestigeous (in first class) and profitable (in the much more austere steerage). Kaiser Wilhelm II was west-bound when the great conflict began on 3 August 1914 and, after evading patrolling British cruisers, arrived at New York three days later.

For more than two and a half years, as armies exhausted themselves in the European trenches, Kaiser Wilhelm II remained inactive. She was seized by the United States Government when it declared war on Germany on 6 April 1917, and work soon began to repair her machinery, sabotaged earlier by a German caretaker crew, and otherwise prepare the ship for use as a transport. While this work progressed, she was employed as a barracks ship at the New York Navy Yard.

The U.S. Navy placed the ship in commission as USS Kaiser Wilhelm II (ID # 3004) in late August 1917. Her name was changed to Agamemnon at the beginning of September and active war work commenced at the end of October, when she left for her first troopship voyage to France. While at sea on 9 November 1917, she was damaged in a collision with another big ex-German transport, USS Von Steuben , but delivered her vital passengers to the war zone a few days later. Following return to the United States in December and subsequent repair work, Agamemnon again steamed to France in mid-January 1918 and thereafter regularly crossed the Atlantic as part of the massive effort to establish a major American military presence on the Western Front. The routine was occasionally punctuated by encounters with real or suspected enemy submarines and, during the autumn of 1918, with outbreaks of influenza on board.

In mid-December 1918, just over a month after the Armistice ended the fighting, Agamemnon began to bring Americans home from France. She made nine voyages between then and August 1919, carrying nearly 42,000 service personnel, some four thousand more than she had transported overseas during wartime. USS Agamemnon was decommissioned in late August and turned over to the War Department for further use as a U.S. Army Transport. Laid up after the middle 1920s, she was renamed Monticello in 1927 but had no further active service. Too elderly for use in the Second World War, the ship was sold for scrapping in 1940.

This page features and provides links to all the views we have concerning USS Agamemnon (ID # 3004), including those taken while she was named Kaiser Wilhelm II .

If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Pitching her forefoot nearly out of the water, while steaming through rough seas during a trans-Atlantic voyage, circa 1917-1918. An escorting destroyer is in the left distance.
Photographed by "HF Co".
The original image is printed on postcard ("AZO")stock.

Donation of Charles R. Haberlein Jr., 2007.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image size: 58KB 740 x 470 pixels

Photographed from USS Warrington (Destroyer # 30) during World War I.

Courtesy of Mr. Gustavus C. Robbins, 1973.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 54KB 740 x 440 pixels

Underway, circa late 1918, probably in the vicinity of New York Harbor. She is painted in "dazzle" camouflage.
Panoramic photograph by E. Muller, Jr., New York.

Courtesy of the Naval Historical Foundation. Donation of Lieutenant General John T. Myers, USMC (Retired), 1945.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image size: 117KB 1200 x 525 pixels

Photographed from USS Mercury (ID # 3012), while underway at sea in 1918.

Courtesy of James Russell, 1980.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 85KB 740 x 555 pixels

Halftone reproduction of a photograph taken in 1918-1919, showing the ship in port.
The original image was published in 1918-1919 as one of ten photographs in a "Souvenir Folder" of views concerning USS Agamemnon .

USS Warrington (DD-30) - History

The Great Atlantic Hurricane of September 1944

Ken Adams, RM2/c

I submitted an article to DESANews in 1986 containing my and a shipmate's eye witness accounts of the Great Atlantic Hurricane of 13 September 1944. Since the publishing of my article, four additional eye witness accounts from DE sailors have been published concerning this same hurricane. In 2007, I sent these article's to Tim Deegan, weatherman for Channel 12 in Jacksonville, FL. His initial response was, "Wow!

As I had lived in Kentucky most my first 19 years of life I doubt if I could have spelled hurricane at that time (joke), so I never realized the pending danger I would face while in the USN. It would be nearly 40 years later before I found out I had been in the Great Atlantic Hurricane of September 1944.

I enlisted in the USN in May 1943. After completing bootcamp at Great Lakes Training Center, Chicago, IL., I attended the US Naval Radio School, Indianapolis. Graduation day arrived January 3, 1944. Next, I attended Merchant Marine Radio School, Noroton Heights, CT. The Navy manned the Radio function/gunnery function on the Marine vessels. However, this school was closed and in early February I was transferred for sea duty aboard the USS EDSALL DE 129 as a radioman.

On 13 September 1944, EDSALL was returning to New York from Taranto, Italy. USS WARRINGTON DD 383 had departed Norfolk Navy Base two days earlier escorting the USS HYADES AF 28 enroute to Trinidad. Little did any of the ships in the area know what we were all about to face.

The hurricane was first detected on 9 September, northeast of the Lesser Antilles. It likely developed from a tropical wave several days before. It moved west-northwestward, and steadily intensified to a 140 mph major hurricane on the 12th, northeast of the Bahamas. Around this time, the Miami Hurricane Warning Office designated this storm The Great Atlantic Hurricane to emphasize its intensity and size (1) .

The powerful hurricane reached Category 4 as it raced towards the Eastern Seaboard, her winds blanketing a 600 mile area. The photo shows the track of the storm.

The hurricane had reached her maximum fury when encountered by the USS WARRINGTON DD 383 approximately 450 miles east of Vero Beach, FL.

WARRINGTON and HYADES had received word that they were steaming directly into a hurricane. On the evening of the 12th, the storm forced the destroyer to heave to while HYADES continued on her way alone. Keeping wind and sea on her port bow, WARRINGTON rode relatively well through most of the night. Wind and seas, however, continued to build during the early morning hours of the 13th. WARRINGTON began to lose headway and, as a result, started to ship water through the vents to her engineering spaces (1) .

The water rushing into her vents caused a loss of electrical power which set off a chain reaction. Her main engines lost power, and her steering engine and mechanism went out. She wallowed there in the trough of the swells - continuing to ship water. She regained headway briefly and turned upwind, while her radiomen desperately, but fruitlessly, tried to raise HYADES. Finally, she resorted to a plain-language distress call to any
ship or shore station. By noon on the 13th, it was apparent that WARRINGTON'S crewmen could not win the struggle to save their ship, and the order went out to prepare to abandon ship. By 1250, her crew had left WARRINGTON and she went down almost immediately, stern first (1) .

As I was a Radioman I copied the distress call from WARRINGTON. The EDSALL proceeded to be of help. Before we got to the scene, some five other DE's had arrived and we were informed by radio contact to proceed to New York. A prolonged search by HYADES, USS FROST DE 144, USS HUSE DE 145, USS INCH 146, USS SNOWDEN DE 246, USS SWASEY DE 248, USS WOODSON DE 359, and USS JOHNNIE
HUTCHINS DE 360, along with ATR-9 and ATR-62, resulted in the rescue of only 5 officers and 68 men of the destroyer's 20 officers and 301 men.

My ship, USS EDSALL, survived the hurricane. It is difficult, at best, to describe this event. Anyone not involved cannot understand the severity of this storm. Anyone involved can never forget.

Prior to submitting my article to DESANews, I researched the degree of "roll" a DE could/did take before rolling over. 70 degrees is said to be the DEs limit. EDSALL did a 57 degree roll during the hurricane. The rolls and plunges strew all the eating utensils about the galley. Crewmembers strapped themselves in their bunks and prayed our ship would hold together. I remember the "boom, boom, boom" as the sea pounded against the ship.

A shipmate and I had a very stressful "watch" (20:00/24:00) in the radio room. We had to insert the legs of our chairs into pipe to keep from sliding around the room. Typing was more than a challenge. We held the typewriter carriage with our left hand while typing code with the right.

We thought our watch would never end, but it did and we stepped out on the deck and held on to the pyrotechnics box (used for storing flares and other emergency equipment). As we held on we learned a history lesson. The ocean water was furiously churning and when that happens the phosphorous in the water shines green. The phosphorous and the "white caps" alternated. First really low, followed by really high. Waves have
been estimated for this particular hurricane to have reached 70 feet with the 140 MPH winds mentioned above.

The next morning we discovered that the pyrotechnic box we had held on to had broken loose from the securing welds during the night and had slipped overboard!! Enough said about that!!

In addition to the WARRINGTON and the Coast Guard Cutters BEDLOE and JACKSON, this hurricane claimed the 136 foot long minesweeper USS YMS-409 which foundered and sank with all 33 on board lost. Further north, it also claimed the Lightship VINEYARD SOUND (LV-73), which was sunk with the loss of all 12 aboard (1) .

The hurricane and the sinking of the USS WARRINGTON are documented in the 1996 book The Dragon's Breath - Hurricane At Sea, written by Commander Robert A. Dawes, Jr. (a former Commanding Officer of the Warrington), and published by Naval Institute Press.

Ken Adams RM2/c
224 Blvd Des Pins
St. Augustine, FL 32080-6411
(904) 471-2855

Submarines at Latchford Locks

Pictures Eddie Whitham
SOME of the iconic pictures of Warrington’s history captured by local photographer Eddie Whitham included the rare times submarines travelled up the Manchester Ship Canal, through Latchford Locks.

The photos at Latchford Locks are believed to be HMS Explorer there were always two, as they had a support vessel with them.
They used to do fuel trials using Full High Test Peroxide’, which was one of the principle products made at Laporte Chemicals, Baronet Works, Lower Walton.
The submarines used to dock at Liverpool and when in port the crews were shown over Baronet Works. The crews reciprocated with tours round the sub for staff members.
The first phortographs were taken in May 1967, heading for Liverpool with the others heading to Manchester in March 1968.
Two submarines also passed through Latchford Locks along with a Navy Frigate on their way to Manchester as part of the Coronation celebrations in 1953.
Warrington had its own adopted Royal Navy submarine HMS Turbulent. The town had special links with the nuclear submarine since 1984 and its crew were made honorary citizens of the borough.
HMS Turbulent was a Trafalgar-class submarine and was originally intended to hunt down Soviet missile submarines. After the end of the Cold War she spent more time on intelligence gathering missions and landing commando units, as well as firing Tomahawk missiles during the 2003 Iraq war.She was decommissioned on 14 July 2012.
*Footnote: There were three ships in the USS named after Lewis Warrington, who was an officer in the Navy during the Barbary Wars and the War of 1812. He also temporarily served as the Secretary of the Navy.
USS Warrington (DD-30) was a modified Paulding-class destroyer launched in 1910, served in World War I and decommissioned in 1920.
USS Warrington (DD-383) was a Somers-class destroyer launched in 1937 and sunk in 1944 during the Great Atlantic Hurricane.
USS Warrington (DD-843) was a Gearing-class destroyer launched in 1945 and sold to Taiwan in 1973.

Picture May 1967 Eddie Whitham

Picture May 1967 Eddie Whitham

Picture May 1967 Eddie Whitham

Picture May 1967 Eddie Whitham

Picture May 1967 Eddie Whitham

Picture March 1968 Eddie Whitham

Picture March 1968 Eddie Whitham

Picture Eddie Whitham May 1967

About Author

Experienced journalist for more than 35 years. Managing Director of magazine publishing group with six in-house titles and on-line daily newspaper for Warrington. Experienced writer, photographer, PR consultant and media expert having written for local, regional and national newspapers. Specialties: PR, media, social networking, photographer, networking, advertising, sales, media crisis management. Patron Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for Peace. Trustee Warrington Disability Partnership. Former Chairman of Warrington Town FC.

USS Warrington (DD-30) - History

Type Destroyer
Class Somers
Built by Bath Iron Works (Bath, Maine)
Laid down 26 March, 1936
Launched 24 September, 1938
Commissioned 25 January, 1939
End service 1 November, 1945
History Decommissioned 1 November 1945.
Stricken 28 November 1945.
Sold and broken up for scrap in 1946.

These large destroyers were designed as leaders for squadrons of the older FLUSH DECK class.
Built between 1935 and 1938, they introduced the twin 5"/38 gun mounts which later became
standard secondary armament for United States cruisers, battleships, and aircraft carriers.
Four of these mounts proved too much for destroyers, however, and two mounts were
removed (the B mount replaced by a single gun) to improve stability as new equipment was added during the war.

USS Moffett & USS Jouett share credit for sinking U-128 while patroling
the South Atlantic with SOMERS, DAVIS & WINSLOW. No leaders were lost to U-boats.
USS Porter was sunk by a Japanese submarine, and USS Warrington foundered in a Bahamas hurricane.

Destroyer Leaders

13 built
Displacement 1850 tons
Complement 280

4 twin 5", Depth charge throwers, 2 or 3 quad 21" torpedo tube mounts

ASDIC, Radar and HF/DF

Max speed 37 knots

USS Porter (DD-356), USS Selfridge (DD-357), USS McDougal (DD-358), USS Winslow (DD-359), USS Phelps (DD-360), USS Clark (DD-361), USS Moffett (DD-362), USS Balch (DD-363), USS Somers (DD-381), USS Warrington (DD-383), USS Sampson (DD-394), USS Davis (DD-395), and USS Jouett (DD-396)

U-boats sunk (at least partial credit): U-128

Destroyer Leader destroyers lost to U-boats: None

Want to join the JPK Former Crewmembers Association? It's only $20 per year and includes a GREAT newsletter!
Just print out this form, fill it in, and follow the intructions - click here .

The 2010 reunion will be held in Fall River, Massachusetts, from 30 SEP 10 through 03 OCT 10.
Join in on all the fun, food, comradeship, and ceremonies, including visiting the old "Joey P".
Contact Ray Sampson at <401>725-8848   OR   print out these forms - click here.

. . . A D V E R T I S E M E N T . . .
The USS JOSEPH P. KENNEDY JR (DD-850) Ship's Store now has T-shirts, mugs,
baseball jerseys, mousepads, and other items. All have the ship's name or
patch printed on them. Click on the following:

. . . A D V E R T I S E M E N T . . .
(note: The Webmaster is NOT involved with this company, nor do I make ANY profit
from sales, but I have dealt with this vendor before, and was very satisfied with
the products and service - bru h, webmaster)