HMS Humber

HMS Humber

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

HMS Humber

HMS Humber was the name ship of the Humber class of monitors, a class of ships originally built for Brazil but taken over by the Royal Navy at the start of the First World War. She was ready for British service by 25 August 1914, reaching Dover on 29 August. She and her sister ships first saw service in October and November 1914, on the Belgian coast during the Race to the Sea and the battle of the Yser.

On 10-12 October all three ships were ordered to Ostend, to cover the re-embarkment of the Naval Division and the evacuation of British personnel based at Ostend. They were then placed at the disposal of General Rawlinson, who was worried that he might have to evacuate by sea. In the event, his troops (the 7th Division and 3rd Cavalry Divison) were able to join up with the rest of the BEF around Mons. They were then ordered back to Ostend (12 October) to help the Belgian government evacuate to Dunkirk, but didn’t arrive in time to take part in that operation.

On the night of 16-17 October all three ships were ordered back to the Belgian coast, from their base at Dover, to help the Belgian army fighting on the Yser. The monitors showed their limitations that night, being unable to leave port until the end of the day, arriving off the Belgian coast on 18 October. They were heavily involved on the Belgian coast on 18-20 October. They then had to be sent to Dunkirk to collect fresh ammunition, but were back in place by 22 October. By now Admiral Hood, commanding off the Belgian coast, was beginning to worry about winter storms that had the potential to sink the monitors, but HMS Mersey and HMS Humber remaining in place until early November. HMS Severn had to be sent home on 24 October to shift her guns. The threat from the weather was demonstrated again on 25 October when the two remaining ships became trapped in Dunkirk.

The monitors provided vital artillery support during the fighting on the Yser. The retreating Belgian army had lost much of its heavy artillery, and so relied on the naval forces to provide some firepower. If not always hugely effective, the naval guns did provide a vital boost to morale on the ground and on 28 October they played a key role in repelling a German attack that took place after the lock gates on the Yser had been opened to flood the area but before the floods had risen.

In early November HMS Humber remained off the Belgian coast, while the Mersey returned to Dover. The Humber’s guns were in better condition than those on her sister ships and she was the only member of her class to retain the twin gun turret. In December 1914, after the operations off the Belgian coast were over, she was given an extra Mk VII 6in gun on her quarter deck.

In March 1915 all three of the monitors were ordered to the Dardanelles. They were not expected to take part in the operations around the Dardanelles, but in further operations on the Danube, confidently expected to begin once the navy had forced its way past the Turkish defences of the straits! All three monitors would eventually pass through the Dardanelles, but not until 1919.

The Humber reached Malta on 29 March 1915 after a difficult journey. She did not arrive at Gallipoli until 4 June, by which time the original optimistic plan was long forgotten. The Humber’s first duty was to bombard guns hidden an olive grove at Axmah ravine. She was later used to bombard guns on the Asian shore that were bombarding the Allied positions, and finally she supported the evacuation from the Anzac beachhead.

In January 1916 she underwent a refit, getting new guns to replace her worn out originals. She remaining in the eastern Mediterranean, serving as guardship at Akaba from August 1917 to February 1918.

In October 1918 all three Humber class monitors came together at Mudros. After the Turkish surrender, she passed through the Dardanelles, spending three months at Istanbul. After her return to Britain she was sent out to Murmansk (May 1919) to take part in the British intervention in Russia. In September 1919 she was towed back from Archangel. In the following year she was sold to a Dutch salvage firm. She survived until at least the start of the Second World War.

Displacement (loaded)


Top Speed



Armour – belt


- bulkheads


- barbette


- turret face



266ft 9in

Armaments as built

Two 6in guns
Two 4.7in howitzers
Four 3pdr guns
Six 7mm Hotchkiss machine guns

Crew complement



17 June 1913


November 1913




Commander A. L. Snagge

Books on the First World War |Subject Index: First World War

British Royal Navy monitor HMS Humber, 1913, color illustration

Your Easy-access (EZA) account allows those in your organization to download content for the following uses:

  • Tests
  • Samples
  • Composites
  • Layouts
  • Rough cuts
  • Preliminary edits

It overrides the standard online composite license for still images and video on the Getty Images website. The EZA account is not a license. In order to finalize your project with the material you downloaded from your EZA account, you need to secure a license. Without a license, no further use can be made, such as:

  • focus group presentations
  • external presentations
  • final materials distributed inside your organization
  • any materials distributed outside your organization
  • any materials distributed to the public (such as advertising, marketing)

Because collections are continually updated, Getty Images cannot guarantee that any particular item will be available until time of licensing. Please carefully review any restrictions accompanying the Licensed Material on the Getty Images website, and contact your Getty Images representative if you have a question about them. Your EZA account will remain in place for a year. Your Getty Images representative will discuss a renewal with you.

By clicking the Download button, you accept the responsibility for using unreleased content (including obtaining any clearances required for your use) and agree to abide by any restrictions.

Local History

The links between our region and a famous maritime explorer.

William Bligh is best known as the captain involved in the Mutiny on the Bounty. The incident, which took place in the south Pacific in April 1789, has become world-famous due to a number of books and Hollywood films.

The ship, HMS Bounty, was built in Hull. It was constructed in 1784 at the Blaydes shipyard on the River Hull. lt started life as the collier Bethia carrying cargoes of coal up and down the East Coast.

Blaydes House in the 18th century

Bought by the Royal Navy in 1787, it was sent to Tahiti under Bligh’s command to collect breadfruit plants and ship them to the Caribbean, to feed slaves in the British Colonies.

The journey took ten arduous months, as the ship was forced by bad weather to abandon the shorter route round South America and go via the Cape of Good Hope.

Hull University’s Maritime Historical Studies Centre is based in Blaydes House on Hull’s High Street adjacent to where the Bounty was built. Dr Robb Robinson, a historian at the centre, says that the ship was much smaller than other naval vessels, such as Captain Cook’s Endeavour. A factor which may have caused the mutiny.

“When it was known as the Bethia it would have been designed to be manned by a crew of about 15. But, in the voyage to Tahiti it had to take a crew of 42. So that would mean everything would be very cramped. In addition, part of the deck space was taken up for the bringing home of the breadfruit plant and again that restricted size. So tensions on board you can imagine building up when a lot of people are in an enclosed place.”

Bligh and his crew are cast adrift

After the Bounty was seized by Fletcher Christian and the other mutineers, Bligh, and the loyal crew members, were set adrift in an open boat. Bligh navigated the boat across the Pacific Ocean to safety, without any charts.

The Humber Harbour Master, Captain Phil Cowing, says that Bligh’s amazing sailing skills deserves a reassessment of the much maligned captain’s character.

“The Hollywood version suggests he was the villain of the piece but history really proves that his time in that open boat, 47 days afloat and traveling 3600 miles. And the fact that he chose to navigate to Timor where he knew there was a civilized outpost which, would ultimately, if they made it would ensure his safe return to London. All of that demonstrates a huge degree of professionalism, of navigational skill. It’s generally accepted now, that, that 47 day journey was probably one of the most outstanding feats of seamanship and navigation in history. It would be generally accepted that such a journey in an open boat would almost certainly result in the death of all on board. So, the fact that he, and the 18 loyal crewmen, all survived and arrived safely back in London is a testament to his ability.”

Humber Harbour Master: Captain Phil Cowing

Captain Cowing has a special interest in the life of William Bligh, as one of the jobs that the newly promoted Bligh was given on his return to the UK was the mapping of the Humber Estuary.

Associated British Ports has a copy of Bligh’s original chart. The survey was done in February 1797. Bligh would have used a sextant – a naval navigation tool – to chart his location in relation to fixed points on the land usually church steeples. The chart carries notes in Bligh’s own hand. One note states that the survey would have been more detailed, but the captain was called away at short notice. This haste in completing the survey may explain some of the errors in the mapping as Phil Cowing explains.

“We’ve checked some of the coordinates and we notice that the position he has Spurn Point is some two miles north of what we know to be the position in the modern day. Likewise, Grimsby was some two miles out from its chart position these days. So maybe he was rushing somewhat.”

Bligh's chart of the Humber from 1797

Despite the inaccuracies the chart is testament to Bligh’s navigational abilities in an age before satellite mapping, and other electronic aids.

Navigating the Humber is difficult due to the high speed of the tides and the constantly shifting sands beneath. Captain Cowing describes the Humber as “challenging”, and others have described as the most dangerous river in the world.

Blaydes House is open to the public as part of the Heritage Open Days scheme on Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th of September. The building is open from Midday to 3:00pm, both days.

Design and appearance [ edit | edit source ]

The HMS Interceptor was a sleek two-masted brig purported to be the fastest vessel commissioned to His Majesty's service in the British Royal Navy fleet. Β] Flying the Blue Ensign from the peak of the gaff and the Navy pennant from the masthead, the Interceptor was a commissioned Royal Navy vessel of Captain, later Commodore, James Norrington. Γ] Under Norrington's command, the Interceptor had chased and captured some of the Caribbean's most fearsome pirates. The Interceptor was armed with cannons on two decks and had several swivel guns. Thanks to her fine lines, the Interceptor was fast and could turn quickly, but she was no match for the Black Pearl. Ώ]

In addition to her speed, the Interceptor carried 16 cannons and 2 swivel guns. Along with her marines, this armament made the brig a match for the majority of pirate vessels, normally small sloops, brigs or schooners. Unlike most ships of her size, the Interceptor had a raised quarterdeck which housed four of her guns, two swivel guns, and the helm. The raised quarterdeck allowed six of the ship's guns to be housed in an enclosed gundeck about the same level as the remaining guns of the brig's forecastle. Most small vessels such as brigs were not tall enough to have enclosed gundecks.

Severn HMS

HMS Severn was a Humber-class monitor of the Royal Navy. Originally built by Vickers for Brazil, she was purchased by the Royal Navy in 1914 on the outbreak of the First World War along with her sister ships Humber and Mersey. She had been christened Solimoes by the Brazilians, but was renamed by the British.[1] The three ships were the first of a new type of specialized shore-bombardment warships. As a result of her shallow draught, she was very un-manoeuvrable and unseaworthy in open waters in anything more than a Force 5 wind.
The ships were stationed at Dover for service in the English Channel, attached to the Dover Monitor Squadron. During the Battle of the Frontiers and subsequent operations in 1914, the Humber-class monitors were all employed in bombarding German batteries and positions, under the command of Rear-Admiral Horace Hood.
Severn and Mersey's guns soon wore out, and they were each re-armed with a single 6-inch Mk VII gun stripped from the wreck of Montagu, a battleship which had been wrecked on the Isle of Lundy in 1906. Humber retained her twin gun turret throughout the war, with guns being replaced by refurbished guns removed from the other two ships as needed.
During early 1915 Mersey and Severn were dispatched to German East Africa, where the German cruiser Königsberg was hidden in the Rufiji Delta. Only the long-range guns of the shallow-draft monitors could reach the hidden cruiser, and although the journey to East Africa took nearly six months under tow from Malta, the monitors were ultimately successful in destroying the German ship, their shells directed by two seaplane observers.
For the remainder of the war, all three ships participated in further attacks on German-held territory, Humber (which had been sent to the Dardanelles in 1915) in the Mediterranean and Mersey and Severn in German East Africa, where they operated against German positions in the colony. In 1918, Mersey and Severn were transferred to the Mediterranean as well.[1]

HMS Defiant

Tonight is a history lesson and it is one that seems more appropriate everyday. Read even just the first few paragraphs of the Fall of France and consider how we stand today poised on the edge of a precipice that will result in the failure of the West. The leaders of both the free world and our putatitive NATO allies have now met and spoken with the leader of the free world and if they haven't rushed back to urge their parliaments to start immediately rearming then they will bear much of the responsibility for the failure to come.

As I read the entire article I was struck by all the parallels between the pre-war world and the situation that prevailed in France and the situation we have today. We have spent the years since 1996 designing and building warships that have never deployed. Think about it. The new generation nuclear carrier that was to replace the NIMITZ class is woefully inadequate and more than 3 year behind schedule. We're talking about a carrier where the catapalts to launch the planes are iffy, where the weapons elevators to move ammunition from the magazines to the planes on deck don't work and nobody has been able to make them work for over 3 years. It also has a dodgy arresting gear system and the ship just doesn't work. It is joined in dismal failure by the entire class of Littoral Combat Ships which are about as dangerous as the USS Panay on the Yangtze River back before World War II started. The Ticonderoga class cruisers are falling apart and the replacement doesn't exist. They build the giant stealth destroyer with a weapon system so expensive not even the United States can afford to use it and so it was scrapped. The Zumwalt class ships have been in the fleet for years and have never deployed since they suffer engineering casualties at a rate similar to the LCS which breaks down so often the crews qualify for the sea service deployment ribbon as they sit in Canadian ports for the winter since they cannot even get out of the Great Lakes.

With the French it was bad doctrine that doomed their army and with us it is the same thing. We are now engaged in extensive witchhunts and purges of 'extremists'. I wonder if I would qualify. My extremism is that I hold to the oath I swore to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. I believe that the FBI, democrats and the high command all now view people like me as extremists because we don't believe that the most important thing about the military is making everyone comfortable and safe and eligible for sex reassignment surgery at our expense.

Read the article if you have the time. It is fascinating. You can see the same ossified national command authority, internecine battling in a disintegrating government and massive split in the two Americas that are now fully in effect. Those on the left who despise the Americans and the Americans who despise the communist progressives who seem to think everything is an entitlement and guaranteed under the Constitution and that our enemies get better treatment than our industries outside of Silicon Valley.

Putin saw Biden and Biden and the left have already given Putin everything he wants. They are doing the same to their allies in Iran and they are destroying America's energy independence for some reason that defies comprehension. This is not JFK the neophyte and Johnson the leader of the Senate now vice president. We have an imbecile in charge backed up by an ignorant moron with zero background or ability to accomplish anything working with the levers of power in DC. It is not Nixon alone or backed up by Ford. Ford was a power in the House and well up to the job of running the country.

We come now to Obama. There was a sort of joke going around that he chose the moron to be his vice president because by doing that he made himself virtually immune to being turfed out since everyone could look at bumbling Joe Biden and know that maybe there was truth to the old saw that one president cannot destroy the country. With Biden now in charge it looks like he can. Hyper-inflation, reduced energy availability, insane policies that place migrants ahead of citizens and all the rest.

When I was younger I thought there was still a chance of a nuclear war with the USSR. It wouldn't be pretty. Now? I see a future more like what happened to Detroit. Gutted, hollowed out, destroyed by its own ruling class. Remember, these cities in the midwest were for a long time some of the richest cities in the entire world. Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh they are bare shadows of what they were and what happened to all of them was done by the ruling class that ran them into the ground.


A replica of the Hull built HMS Bounty is visiting the city.

The three-masted wooden sailing ship was built in 1960 for the MGM film Mutiny on the Bounty starring Marlon Brando and Trevor Howard. It has also appeared on-screen in Pirates of the Caribbean.

The original Bounty was built at the Blaydes shipyard on the River Hull in 1784. It was used as a coal transporter until it was bought by the Royal Navy and refitted in 1787.

It was sent to the South Seas under the command of Lieutenant William Bligh to collect breadfruit plants. The idea was to try and grow the plant in the West Indies, where it would be a cheap source of food for slaves working on the sugar plantations.

The ship arrived in Tahiti in 1788, after an arduous 10-month journey. The crew spent five-months on the island gathering the plants. During this time many of the sailors began relationships with the local women.

The Bounty set sail on the second-leg of its mission in the spring of 1789. Three- weeks later some of the crew mutinied under the leadership of the second-in-command Fletcher Christian.

Bligh, and those that remained loyal to him, were set adrift in an open boat. The mutineers sailed the Bounty across the south Pacific, picking-up some of the women from Tahiti, before settling in the Pitcairn Islands where many of the crews’ descendants still live.

Bligh, in an amazing feat of seamanship, navigated his seven-meter open boat to safety to Indonesia a journey of over 6,000 kilometres, without charts or compass.

After the mutiny Bligh was cleared of wrong doing at an Admiralty court-martial
He was made Captain and conducted a mapping survey of the Humber Estuary in the 1790s.

The replica Bounty is used as an educational and training resource. The ship is coming to the city as part of a world tour, taking in places connected to the original navy warship.

The Bounty's schedule

You can visit the boat over the weekend from Friday 31st August to Sunday 2nd September at Hull’s Albert Dock.

Visits are by ticket only and must be bought from the Hull Tourist Information Centre at Victoria Square, Hull. Telephone 01482 223559.

Arrangements can be made for disabled access by calling 01482 613500.

All under 16s must be supervised. Buggies are permitted but will limit access to certain areas.


The F-class ships were repeats of the preceding E class. They displaced 1,405 long tons (1,428 t) at standard load and 1,940 long tons (1,970 t) at deep load. The ships had an overall length of 329 feet (100.3 m), a beam of 33 feet 3 inches (10.1 m) and a draught of 12 feet 6 inches (3.8 m). They were powered by two Parsons geared steam turbines, each driving one propeller shaft, using steam provided by three Admiralty three-drum boilers. The turbines developed a total of 36,000 shaft horsepower (27,000 kW) and gave a maximum speed of 35.5 knots (65.7 km/h 40.9 mph). Fury carried a maximum of 470 long tons (480 t) of fuel oil that gave her a range of 6,350 nautical miles (11,760 km 7,310 mi) at 15 knots (28 km/h 17 mph). The ships' complement was 145 officers and ratings. [1]

The ships mounted four 4.7-inch (120 mm) Mark IX guns in single mounts in single mounts, designated 'A', 'B', 'X', and 'Y' in sequence from front to rear. For anti-aircraft (AA) defence, they had two quadruple Mark I mounts for the 0.5 inch Vickers Mark III machine gun. The F class was fitted with two above-water quadruple torpedo tube mounts for 21-inch (533 mm) torpedoes. [2] One depth charge rack and two throwers were fitted 20 depth charges were originally carried, but this increased to 35 shortly after the war began. [3]

Wartime modifications Edit

Between October 1940 and April 1941, Fury had her rear torpedo tube mount replaced by a 12-pounder (76 mm) AA gun. [4] During her early 1942 refit, two single 20 mm (0.8 in) Oerlikon light AA guns were installed abreast the bridge. [5] By July 1942, a Type 286 short-range surface-search radar was fitted as was a HF/DF radio direction finder mounted on a pole mainmast. [1] By February 1943 photographic evidence shows that a pair of Oerlikons had replaced her Vickers .50 machine guns. During her early 1944 refit, another pair of Oerlikons was added and her 12-pounder gun was removed. [5] Photos taken of the ship in July 1944 show her with a Type 271 radar mounted on her searchlight platform that was probably installed during her last refit.

Fury was built by J. Samuel White at its Cowes shipyard under the 1932 Naval Programme. The ship was laid down on 19 May 1933, launched on 10 September 1934, [6] as the eleventh ship to carry the name, [7] and completed on 18 April 1935. The ship cost 248,538 pounds, excluding Admiralty supplied equipment such as armaments and communications sets. Fury was initially assigned to the 6th Destroyer Flotilla (DF) of the Home Fleet, but was sent to reinforce the Mediterranean Fleet, together with most of her sister ships, during the Abyssinian crisis in June. [8] On 11 December 1936, the day after his abdication broadcast to the nation, Fury embarked The Duke of Windsor for passage to Boulogne-sur-Mer. [9] After returning home, she remained there aside from deployments to Spanish waters to enforce the arms embargo imposed on both sides in the Spanish Civil War by the Non-Intervention Committee. The flotilla was renumbered the 8th Destroyer Flotilla in April 1939, five months before the start of World War II. Fury remained assigned to it until June 1940, escorting the larger ships of the fleet and conducting anti-submarine patrols. [10]

On 15 September, Fury was one of the destroyers that relieved her sisters escorting the aircraft carrier Ark Royal after they had sunk the German submarine U-39 after it attacked the carrier. Two months later, she was escorting the battleship Nelson when the latter struck a magnetic mine as they were entering Loch Ewe on 4 December. Fury remained there for a time in case any further mining attempts were made. In February 1940, she was one of the escorts for Convoy TC 3 carrying troops from Canada to the UK. [11] On 17 April, Fury screened the damaged heavy cruiser Suffolk as she returned to Scapa Flow after bombarding the airbase at Stavanger, Norway. [10]

Beginning on 23 April, the ship was one of the escorts for the aircraft carriers Ark Royal and Glorious as they conducted air operations off the coast of Norway in support of Allied operations ashore. Glorious was detached to refuel at Scapa Flow on the 27th and was escorted by Fury and seven other destroyers. Three days later, she screened the battleship Valiant as the latter rendezvoused with Ark Royal. On 9 May, Fury, her sister Foresight, and three other destroyers were detached from the escort of the battlecruiser Repulse in an attempt to intercept a German force of E-boats that was expected. Other forces searching for German minelayers nearby also failed to locate their quarry. During this time, the destroyers Kelly and Kandahar were detached from the screen of the light cruiser Birmingham to pursue a possible submarine contact and Kelly was torpedoed by S-31 in the darkness later that night. The destroyer Bulldog came up to assist and towed Kelly [12] most of the way to Hebburn, escorted by Fury, Kandahar and the destroyer Gallant. [13] On 18 May, Fury and her sisters Foresight and Fortune were transferred to the Humber to counter the threat of E-boats and minelayers in the North Sea. [14]

Force H, 1940–1941 Edit

On 29 June, Fury sailed from Scapa to Gibraltar to join her sisters of the 8th DF as the escorts for Force H. On 3 July she took part in the attack on the French Fleet at Mers-el-Kébir (Operation Catapult). [15] In late August the ship escorted Valiant and the new carrier Illustrious from the UK to Gibraltar. The next day, Fury and Force H covered the passage of Valiant and Illustrious through the Western Mediterranean to rendezvous with the Mediterranean Fleet (Operation Hats). [16] On 13 September, Force H rendezvoused with a convoy that was carrying troops intended to capture Dakar from the Vichy French. Ten days later, they attacked Dakar, but were driven off by the Vichy French defences. [17] During the battle on 24 September, Fury, the destroyer Greyhound, and the heavy cruiser HMAS Australia engaged the Vichy French destroyer L'Audacieux which was set on fire and forced to beach itself. [18] In early October, Fury escorted a troop convoy from Freetown, Sierra Leone, to French Cameroon. [19]

She returned to Gibraltar on 19 October, together with her sisters Faulknor and Forester. [20] The ship escorted the carriers Argus and Ark Royal during Operations Coat and White in November. Fury escorted Force F to Malta during Operation Collar later in the month and participated in the inconclusive Battle of Cape Spartivento on 27 November, where she was part of the screen for the battlecruiser Renown and the battleship Ramillies. In January 1941, the ship screened Force H during Operation Excess. [21] At the end of the month, Force H departed Gibraltar to carry out Operation Picket, an unsuccessful night torpedo attack by eight of Ark Royal ' s Fairey Swordfish on the Tirso Dam in Sardinia. The British ships returned to Gibraltar on 4 February and began preparing for Operation Grog, a naval bombardment of Genoa, that was successfully carried out five days later. [22] The following month Fury underwent a brief refit at Malta. [10] At the end of March, together with the light cruiser HMS Sheffield and three other destroyers, the ship attempted to intercept a Vichy French convoy that included the freighter SS Bangkok, supposedly laden with 3,000 metric tons (3,000 long tons 3,300 short tons) of rubber, which had already been unloaded. Her sister Fearless was ordered to board and capture Bangkok, but she was thwarted by gunfire from a coast-defence battery off the port of Nemours, Algeria. [23] A few days later, Fury and four other destroyers escorted Sheffield, Renown, and Ark Royal in Operation Winch, which delivered a dozen Hurricane fighters to Malta. [24] Beginning on 24 April, Fury and Force H covered Argus flying off more Hurricanes as well as the destroyers of the 5th Destroyer Flotilla sailing to Malta. [25]

In early May she was part of the destroyer screen with five other destroyers for the battleship Queen Elizabeth, and the light cruisers Naiad, Fiji and Gloucester which were joining the Mediterranean Fleet. This was part of Operation Tiger which included a supply convoy taking tanks to the Middle East and the transfer of warships. Fury and her sisters had their Two-Speed Destroyer Sweep (TSDS) minesweeping gear rigged to allow them to serve as a fast minesweepers en route to Malta. Despite this, one merchant ship was sunk by mines and another damaged. Later that month, she participated in Operation Splice, another mission in which the carriers Ark Royal and Furious flew off fighters for Malta. [26] Force H was ordered to join the escort of Convoy WS 8B in the North Atlantic on 24 May, after the Battle of the Denmark Strait on 23 May, but they were directed to search for the German battleship Bismarck and the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen on 25 May. Heavy seas increased fuel consumption for all of the escorts and Forester was forced to return to Gibraltar to refuel later that day before rejoining the capital ships of Force H on 29 May, after Bismarck had been tracked down and sunk. In early June the destroyer participated in two more aircraft delivery missions to Malta (Operations Rocket and Tracer). On 22 June, the 8th DF was tasked to intercept a German supply ship spotted heading towards the French coast. The next day they intercepted MV Alstertor which was scuttled by her crew upon the approach of the British ships. They rescued 78 British POWs taken from ships sunk by German raiders and the crew. In late June, Fury screened Ark Royal and Furious as they flew off more fighters for Malta in Operation Railway. [27]

Another Malta convoy (Operation Substance) was conducted in mid-July, heavily escorted by Force H and elements of the Home Fleet and another in early August (Operation Style), albeit with only Force H covering the convoy. [28] Several weeks later, Fury participated in Operation Mincemeat, during which Force H escorted a minelayer to Livorno to lay its mines while Ark Royal ' s aircraft attacked Northern Sardinia as a diversion. [29] In late September, the destroyer escorted another convoy to Malta in Operation Halberd. [10]

Arctic Waters 1942–1943 Edit

Fury was transferred home in October and briefly joined the Greenock Special Escort Division. By December she had rejoined the 8th DF of the Home Fleet and began a refit in a Humber shipyard. On 15 February 1942 she rejoined the 8th Flotilla at Scapa Flow for service with the Russian convoys. [5] In March Fury escorted the covering force for Convoy QP 6 and Convoy PQ 12. [30] On 11–14 March, together with seven other destroyers, she attempted to intercept the German battleship Tirpitz as the latter sailed from Narvik to Trondheim. The Germans spotted the destroyer force and delayed Tirpitz ' s sailing date to avoid them. [31] Fury and the destroyer Eclipse escorted Convoy PQ 13 beginning on 23 March, later reinforced by the light cruiser Trinidad. A severe storm from 25 to 27 March caused the convoy to scatter and the escorts were detailed to find the stragglers and reassemble the convoy. Fury had to find and refuel the converted whaler Sumba in response to her message that she was low on fuel and found the merchantman SS Harpalion en route as she rejoined the convoy the next day. On the morning of 29 March, Trinidad and Fury encountered the German destroyers Z24, Z25, and Z26 as they attempted to rendezvous with another part of the scattered convoy. The leading destroyer, Z26, was badly damaged when Trinidad opened fire and attempted to break contact, but was tracked by the cruiser's radar and re-engaged at a range of 2,900 yards (2,700 m). Trinidad fired one torpedo at Z26, but it circled around and struck the cruiser. The detonation caused her speed to drop to 8 knots (15 km/h 9.2 mph) and allowed the German ship to disengage. Fury pursued her until they encountered the convoy and Fury turned back to screen Trinidad after firing two salvoes by mistake at Eclipse. Fury then escorted Trinidad into the Kola Inlet where they arrived the following morning. [32]

Fury remained in Murmansk until 10 March, when she screened Convoy QP 10 through to Iceland. She escorted the distant cover force of the Home Fleet as Trinidad attempted to sail home from Murmansk in mid-May, but the cruiser was sunk en route by German bombers. Fury then was a part of the screen of Home Fleet as it provided distant cover for Convoys PQ 16 and QP 12 later in the month. [33] The ship was assigned as part of the close escort for Convoy QP 17 at the end of June. En route she made an unsuccessful attack on U-456 with the destroyer Wilton and corvette Lotus on 2 July, before the convoy was ordered to disperse under the threat of German surface attack. [34]

Fury returned to the Mediterranean in early August, and was one of the close escorts of Force X for Operation Pedestal in mid-August. As the convoy passed through the Sicilian Narrows between Tunisia and Sicily, the ship used her TSDS gear to sweep for mines. During the early morning of 13 August, she unsuccessfully attempted to engage the Italian motor torpedo boat MS 31 as the latter was firing two torpedoes that sank the freighter SS Glenorchy. [35] Fury then escorted the damaged Nelson back to the UK for repairs. [5]

On 9 September 1942 she joined the escort for Convoy PQ 18, but was detached from it on 17 September to escort the returning Convoy QP 14. [36] The ship was given a brief refit on the Humber in November before resuming convoys to Russia. [5] The following month, Fury escorted the Convoys JW 51A and RA 51 to and from Murmansk then Convoy RA 53 in February 1943. [37]

1943–1944 Edit

In mid-March recent successes by U-boats caused the Admiralty to transfer destroyers from the Home Fleet to escort duties in the North Atlantic. Fury was one of these and was assigned to the 4th Escort Group. In April the group escorted Convoys HX 231, HX 234 and ONS 5 (where they drove off attacking U-boat wolfpacks). In May she escorted ON 184 [38] before beginning a brief refit on the Humber. [5]

On 17 June, Fury escorted Home Fleet units to reinforce the Mediterranean Fleet for the Sicily landings. [5] On 10 July she formed part of the covering force for the landings. [39] On 1 September she screened the battleships Warspite and Valiant and the light cruisers Orion and Mauritius as they bombarded Reggio Calabria in support of Operation Baytown, the occupation of southernmost mainland Italy. A week later, she was part of the covering force for the landings at Salerno. After the surrender of Italy, Fury was one of the ships that escorted units of the Italian Fleet into Malta for their surrender and then to Alexandria, Egypt, arriving on 17 September. [40]

A few days later, the ship was assigned to support Allied forces in the Dodecanese Campaign. On 20–21 September, she loaded 53 long tons (54 t) of supplies and 340 men of the Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment at Haifa, Palestine, to reinforce the British garrison on Leros. Fury, Faulknor and Eclipse were diverted from the campaign on 1 October to escort the battleships King George V and Howe from Alexandria to Malta. Six days later, the three destroyers screened the light cruisers Penelope and Sirius as they patrolled the Dodecanese searching for German shipping, although Eclipse had to return to Alexandria early for repairs to her steering. On the morning of 7 October, they encountered a small convoy south of Levitha. The cruisers sank the escorting trawler Uj 2111 while the destroyers sank the 5,216-GRT freighter SS Olympos all of the ships engaged the barges at very short range and sank six of the seven. As the ships withdrew, they were repeatedly attacked by German aircraft which damaged Penelope. [41] On the night of 15/16 November she bombarded Leros with the destroyers Exmoor and ORP Krakowiak [42] On 29 November, Fury helped to escort the recently torpedoed Birmingham to Alexandria. [43]

In December she was converted at Gibraltar for use as a convoy escort in a refit that lasted until February 1944. [5] Upon its completion, the ship rejoined the 8th DF in the Mediterranean for several months before rejoining the Home Fleet where they arrived on 11 May. After several weeks of training in preparation for her role as a shore bombardment ship during the Normandy landings, Fury sailed from Scapa to Portsmouth on 26 May. [44] The ship was assigned to Bombardment Force E, supporting Juno Beach and the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division and No. 48 (Royal Marine) Commando assaulting the beach. [45]

Fury and Faulknor left the Solent on 5 June as the escort for the minesweepers of Convoy J-1. She arrived at the beachhead and took up her bombardment position on 6 June where, along with Faulknor and the destroyers Venus, Stevenstone and the Free French-manned La Combattante, she carried out a preliminary bombardment of the area west of Courseulles and then gunfire support as requested. The ship returned to Portsmouth periodically to reammunition and resupply as needed. [46]

At 10:38 on the morning of 21 June, Fury detonated a ground mine off Juno Beach during a gale and the navy decided to tow her into the British Mulberry harbour at Arromanches where her damage could be evaluated. While waiting for a tugboat, she took on a 6° list to starboard from flooding. The Dutch tug Thames began towing the ship at 13:25 at 21:14, Fury accidentally collided with the stern of a freighter anchored outside the Mulberry, damaging her port side above the waterline, and the towline snapped at 21:49 when she struck another ship several times. She let go her anchor after drifting clear, but it almost immediately started dragging under the pressure of the wind and waves and the salvage ship Lincoln Salvor was secured alongside to steady Fury. Another tug made a towline fast at 22:18, but it immediately snapped when the tug began to pull forward. Lincoln Salvor had to cast off as her wooden hull was being damaged by slamming into Fury ' s hull and six other tugboats attempted to tow the destroyer clear of the shipping in the Mulberry, but they all failed. Fury struck at least three other ships, including petrol and ammunition ships before she was driven ashore at 01:30. Her crew was able to walk to Arromanches at about 05:30 once the tide went out. [47]

She was subsequently refloated on 5 July and towed back to the UK. [48] The subsequent survey declared her a constructive total loss, and the ship was sold to Thos W Ward by BISCO. Fury was towed Briton Ferry to be scrapped, arriving there on 18 September 1944. [5]

Welcome to HMS Humber!

The adults in our class are Miss Walker and Mrs Wright. We have had the pleasure of seeing our children grow in confidence and ability over time. We are now putting into practice those skills we have learned in all areas of the curriculum and using them to become independent learners who are curious, engaged and enthusiastic about new learning.

Every day the children come into school eager and excited to learn.

In Year Two our love of reading continues to grow. We read both fiction and non-fiction books. We are becoming confident readers who are able to use expression and take on voices of the characters. We are reading with fluency by taking note of written punctuation. The skills we have learned in RWI (phonics) help us to read unknown words and learn sight words which are tricky to read (Red Words). In our reading response lessons we are learning to predict things that are going to happen and explain our thoughts. We can talk about how a character is feeling based on illustrations and clues in the text. We meet new vocabulary and use these in contexts.

In writing we use our reading skills to help us spell words using &lsquoFred Fingers&rsquo and sounding out words. We are developing our writing through the use of adjectives to add interest. Our word choices are becoming more exciting as vocabulary knowledge increases.

Through our scientific investigations we are able to explore changes and talk about why changes happen. We can use scientific vocabulary when sharing our findings and record them in a formal way. We love working with our friends and talking about what we have learned.

Our book led curriculum provides us with exciting topics that involve thought provoking questions. We use books and other methods of finding information. We are able to present our work in different ways. Geography, history, Art, Science and Design and Technology are all aspects of our Book led curriculum, providing us with learning that is linked together and makes learning more meaningful.

As we move into the latter part of the academic year, we are preparing to move into Key Stage Two. We help children to develop their independence and key skills they will need as the foundations for their future education.

We want our children to become confident learners who are equipped with the skills and knowledge that will support them in the future. In addition to this, we want our children to become citizens of the world who are considerate of others, kind and caring. Our children learn about other cultures and beliefs as well as understanding that everyone has the right to equality and has a voice. Sometimes the views of others may differ from our own. Our children are taught that we celebrate difference and are tolerant of others.

We are always proud of our children and admire how children adapt to their environment and how through young eyes we ourselves learn alongside them. It is a great privilege to teach our children and see them grow into the little people they are.

Watch the video: HMS Erebus - Guide 066