Pery II DD- 11 - History

Pery II DD- 11 - History

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Perry II

(DD-11: dp. 480 (n.); 1. 250'6"; b. 23'8"; dr. 7'3"; s. 29 k.;
cpl. 73; a. 2 3", 5 6-pdrs., 2 18" tt.; el. Bainbridge)

The second Perry (DD-11) was laid down l0 April 1899 by Union Iron Works, San Francisco; launched 27 October 1900; sponsored by Miss Maude O'Connor; and commissioned 4 September 1902, Lt. Theodore C. Fenton in command.

Perry was assigned to the Pacific Torpedo Flotilla and based at Mare Island until the United States entered World War I. Her operations took her as far north as Alaska and south along the coast of Mexico; and in the fall of 1908, combined fleet maneuvers took her to Hawaii.

Perhaps the highlight of the torpedo boat destroyer's career eame during the earthquake which struck San Francisco 18 April 1906 and the resulting fire which devastated the city. For four sleepless days after they were awakened by severe rolling and pitching of their ship before dawn on 18 April, the indefatigable erew labored to save the western metropolis by fighting fires; patrolling districts where stores, warehouses and homes were threatened by looters; and providing mediesi aid to countless injured men, women, and children.

When the United States entered World War I, Perry patrolled off the California Coast until steaming to Panama where, beginning 28 July 1917, she guarded the entrance to the vital eanal. On 30 May 1918, she sailed for Key West for patrol duty in the Florida Keys. After the Armistiee, she got under way for the Delaware Bay, 29 January 1919, and remained at the Philadelphia Navy Yard until decommissioning 2 July. Perry's natne was struck from the Navy List 15 September 1919, and she was sold for scrapping 5 January 1920.

Catherine the Great

Our editors will review what you’ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article.

Catherine the Great, Russian Yekaterina Velikaya, also called Catherine II, Russian in full Yekaterina Alekseyevna, original name Sophie Friederike Auguste, Prinzessin von Anhalt-Zerbst, (born April 21 [May 2, New Style], 1729, Stettin, Prussia [now Szczecin, Poland]—died November 6 [November 17], 1796, Tsarskoye Selo [now Pushkin], near St. Petersburg, Russia), German-born empress of Russia (1762–96) who led her country into full participation in the political and cultural life of Europe, carrying on the work begun by Peter the Great. With her ministers she reorganized the administration and law of the Russian Empire and extended Russian territory, adding Crimea and much of Poland.

What is Catherine the Great known for?

Catherine II, called Catherine the Great, reigned over Russia for 34 years—longer than any other female in Russian history. As empress, Catherine westernized Russia. She led her country into full participation in the political and cultural life of Europe. She championed the arts and reorganized the Russian law code. She also significantly expanded Russian territory. Today Catherine is a source of national pride for many Russians.

How did Catherine the Great come into power?

Catherine the Great was born Sophie von Anhalt-Zerbst to Prussian prince Christian August von Anhalt-Zerbst. At age 16, she married Karl Ulrich (later Peter III), the heir to the throne of Russia. Shortly after Ulrich ascended the throne, Catherine led a successful rebellion against him. Ulrich abdicated, and in September 1762 Catherine was crowned empress of Russia.

What was the Instruction of Catherine the Great?

The Instruction of Catherine the Great was a Russian political document prepared by the empress as a guide for a legislative commission considering internal reforms. In it Catherine “instructed” the commission to create a new legal code and recommended a series of government reforms based on liberal humanitarian political theories. According to the Instruction:

  • All men should be considered equal before the law.
  • The law should protect, not oppress, the people.
  • The law should only forbid harmful acts.
  • Serfdom should be abolished.
  • Capital punishment and torture should cease.
  • The principle of absolutism should be upheld.

How did Catherine the Great die?

Contrary to popular belief, Catherine the Great did not die on the toilet. She did, however, suffer a stroke in the toilet (meaning bathroom) and died the next day, on November 6 (November 17, New Style), 1796. The rumour that Catherine died on the toilet likely originated in the imperial Russian court. Catherine’s enemies in the court spread many different rumours about her death. One particularly nasty rumour held that Catherine had died while attempting sexual intercourse with a horse.

USS Wren (DD-568)

Solomon Wren was born in 1780 in Loudoun County, Virginia. He enlisted in the United States Marine Corps at Alexandria, Virginia on 1 April 1 1799. Assigned to the schooner USS Enterprise, Wren rose in rank and, by the end of 1803, had been promoted to sergeant.

In February 1804, Wren volunteered for the expedition to destroy the frigate USS Philadelphia, captured by the Tripolitan pirates on October 31, 1803 after grounding on an uncharted reef off Tripoli. Under the command of Lieutenant Stephen Decatur, Jr., Wren and 68 other sailors and marines entered Tripoli harbor on the night of February 16, in the ketch USS Intrepid and succeeded in setting fire to the former American ship during the First Barbary War. On 3 August 1804 Wren was slightly wounded while assigned to Gunboat No. 4 during another attack on Tripoli. On 20 September he transferred to the frigate USS John Adams and returned home. He was detached from the Marine Corps on 24 March 1805 and no further record of his life has been found.

Wren was laid down on 24 April 1943 at Seattle, Wash., by the Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp. launched on 29 January 1944, sponsored by Mrs. Jeanne F. Dockweiler and commissioned on 20 May 1944, Commander Edwin A. McDonald in command.

Following commissioning, Wren operated out of San Diego, Calif. conducting shakedown training. In August, she reported for duty with the Northern Pacific Force in the Aleutian Islands. Her duties there consisted largely of patrol and escort work between the islands of the Aleutian chain. She did, however, participate in four shore bombardment missions against the Japanese Kuril Islands with Task Force 92 (TF 92) between November 1944 and April 1945. Her first action occurred on 21 November 1944 when she participated in the shelling of Matsuwa. Her second and third bombardment missions took her to Paramushiro on 5 January and 18 February 1945, respectively. Her final bombardment of the Kurils took place on 15 March 1945, and Matsuwa again served as the target.

On 19 April, she stood out of Kulsk Bay, bound for Hawaii. The destroyer arrived at Pearl Harbor on the 25th but soon continued her voyage to the Western Carolines. She stopped at Ulithi Atoll until 17 May at which time she left the lagoon on her way to join in the six-week-old Okinawa campaign. The ship served in the Ryukyus from 21 May to 18 June, performing antisubmarine patrols and standing antiaircraft radar picket watch. She came under air attack on several occasions but sustained no major hits while ending the careers of at least four of her airborne attackers.

Departing Okinawa on 18 June, she arrived at Leyte in the Philippines three days later and remained there until 1 July when she joined units of TF 38 for the final series of carrier-based aerial attacks on Japan. Wren spent the remaining weeks of the war at sea with TF 38 supporting the carriers while their planes struck the Japanese homeland.

On 26 August, Wren entered Tokyo Bay with other elements of the 3d Fleet to begin the occupation of Japan and to prepare for the formal surrender ceremony at which she was present on 2 September. She departed Japan that same day and, during the next month, visited Iwo Jima and Eniwetok. The warship returned to Tokyo on 13 October for a visit of just over a month. She departed Japan on 18 November and arrived at Oahu on the 28th. Resuming her voyage east on 1 December, she entered San Diego on the 7th. After a two-day visit, she headed—by way of the Panama Canal—for the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard where she arrived on 23 December. After an inactivation overhaul at Philadelphia, Wren moved to Charleston, S.C., late in March 1946. On 13 July 1946, the destroyer was placed out of commission at Charleston.

A little over five years later, on 7 September 1951, Wren was placed back in commission at Charleston, Commander George M. Hagerman in command. For the next two years, she operated along the eastern seaboard and in the West Indies. During the latter months of 1951, she conducted standardization and vibration tests under the auspices of the Bureau of Ships and its research facility at Carderock, Md., the David Taylor Model Basin. She returned to Charleston in December and, throughout 1952 and for the first eight months of 1953, performed normal operations and training in the western Atlantic.

In August 1953, Wren was reassigned to Destroyer Division 61 (DesDiv 61) for deployment to the Far East. She stood out of Norfolk, Va. on 28 August and transited the Panama Canal on 2 September. After stops at San Diego, Pearl Harbor, and Midway, she arrived in Yokosuka on 3 October. A week later, she put to sea to join Task Force 77 (TF 77) in the Sea of Japan. The fast carriers conducted air operations there and in the Yellow Sea, and Wren provided screen and plane-guard services to them between 10 October and 26 November. Following that assignment, she joined the Australian carrier HMAS Sydney and provided similar services until mid-December when she returned to Japan at Sasebo for the Christmas holidays.

The destroyer rejoined TF 77 on 3 January 1954 and cruised with the carriers until the 17th when she became a unit of TF 95. She served along the Korean coast carrying out cease-fire surveillance missions with TF 95 until 1 February, when she returned to Sasebo to prepare for the voyage home. She departed Japan on 11 February and, taking a westward route through the Indian and Atlantic Oceans, completed a circumnavigation of the globe when she arrived in Norfolk on 9 April.

For the remainder of her active career, Wren operated out of Norfolk periodically making overseas deployments. Among her 2nd Fleet activities were midshipman summer cruises, some to northern European ports and others to West Indian and American ports. She also served with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean Sea on several occasions. Annual "Springboard" exercises took her to Puerto Rico, Cuba, and Panama each spring. During her 1957 Mediterranean deployment, the ship served with the Mid East Force in the Indian Ocean and participated in Operation Crescent with units of the Pakistani Navy.

Wren appeared in the 1959 movie, Operation Petticoat while on a port call to Naval Station Key West, Florida.

Transferred to the Naval Reserve Force, the Wren was later used by a Naval Reserve unit in Houston, Texas and based in Galveston, Texas in the early 1960s. During this time, it supported Naval Reserve activities and made weekend ASW training trips in the Gulf of Mexico.

In December 1963, after almost a decade of duty with the Atlantic Fleet, Wren was placed out of commission, in reserve. She spent the next 11 years in the Reserve Fleet, berthed at the Naval Inactive Ship Facility at Naval Station Philadelphia. Her name was struck from the Navy list in December 1974 and on 22 October 1975, she was sold to the North American Smelting Co., Wilmington, Del., for scrapping.

Wren earned three battle stars during World War II.

The Wren had 3 blade props instead of 4 making her much faster than most Fletcher class destroyers. 39.9 knots instead of the 35 listed above which was the standard Fletcher speed. (Per Raymond Collins BT2 USS Wren 1952-56)


1946–1959 Edit

Following shakedown off Cuba and plane guard exercises off Pensacola, Florida, Perry departed the east coast, on 12 June 1946, for her first overseas deployment, a nine-month cruise which took her first to northern Europe, thence to the Mediterranean. There she joined other American units in patrolling off tension-ridden areas bordering on that sea, particularly on the Adriatic, the Aegean, and the Dardanelles—Sea of Marmara—Bosporus. Returning to her homeport, Newport, Rhode Island, on 8 March 1947, she conducted local operations and exercises from Puerto Rico to Canada and, in addition, served as Engineering School Ship for Destroyer Forces, Atlantic Fleet, and, in October, assisted in fighting the fire which ravaged the Maine resort of Mount Desert Island.

Perry remained in the western Atlantic until January 1951, when she got underway again for the Mediterranean. 6th Fleet operations were followed by exercises with the British Home Fleet and in May she returned to New England and plane guard duties, local operations and training exercises.

In 1952, following her 3rd Mediterranean tour, she again served as Engineering School Ship and participated in type, fleet, and NATO exercises until resuming overseas employment in 1954. In the Mediterranean from January to June, she served as Gunnery School Ship on her return.

During the next four years Perry regularly deployed to the Mediterranean, patrolling, in early 1956, off the Suez Canal as the United States attempted to promote a peaceful settlement to the mounting crisis between Israel and the Arab League nations.

1960–1973 Edit

Between 29 April 1959 and 10 May 1960 Perry underwent Fleet Rehabilitation and Modernization (FRAM) Conversion, the first such conversion, at the Boston Naval Shipyard. In addition to improved living spaces, she received the latest in sonar and anti-submarine weaponry, including ASROC and DASH. Exercises in the Caribbean followed and, in August, she shifted her homeport to Mayport, Florida, whence she began operations with Task Group Alpha. Over the next two years, she operated with that group, participated in Polaris missile tests in the Atlantic Missile Range, and conducted local operations and training cruises. On 2 August 1962, she departed Florida to resume overseas deployments and for the next seven years rotated between 6th Fleet and Middle East Force tours and operations in the western Atlantic, the latter including further Polaris tests, school ship duties for the Sonar School at Key West, and, in May 1965, patrol duties with Task Force 124 (TF 124) off the Dominican Republic.

In 1969, Perry interrupted her previous schedule and on 11 January got underway for duty in the western Pacific. Arriving at Subic Bay, Philippines, on 29 February, she joined the 7th Fleet for operations off Vietnam. On her return to her homeport of Mayport, Florida, she ran into Hurricane Camille on 16 August. She was ordered to remain on course and report weather conditions, among which were wind speeds of 190 knots. Her department heads eventually convinced the commanding officer to change course, but since it was his first command, he was initially reluctant to do so. He finally requested a course change, but by then Perry had suffered significant structural damage, and on 3 September returned to her homeport for three months of repairs. Perry then resumed her duties with the Atlantic Fleet, continuing them into 1970.

Perry was decommissioned and struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 1 July 1973. She was sold on 24 June 1974 and broken up for scrap.

Thread: Daniel Defense RIS II - A Brief History

The SOCOM RIS II rail contract provided all current and upcoming weapon and accessory manufacturers with an opportunity to demonstrate outside the box development, and enter into trials for the (at that time) upcoming rail selection.

ARMS, KAC, and DD all advanced past initial testing with high quality rail systems which humbled their competitors. Regardless of the outcome, all three had shown that they were solid performers. Of course in the end, the selection was narrowed to one, with Daniel Defense being awarded the contract and becoming the sole source supplier for SOCOM.

Below reads the Daniel Defense description for the DD RIS II rail, but the end product isn't how it started out, nor it is likely to be the final product either.

The Daniel Defense RIS II allows the individual operator to free float the M203 grenade launcher without additional parts. As importantly, special tools are not required to mount the M203 grenade launcher. This was accomplished by integrating all of the needed parts to free float the M203 into the rail itself.

The Daniel Defense RIS II free-floating Picatinny rail systems are designed to allow individual operator to quickly, and without special tools, mount M203 Grenade Launcher and precisely mount SOPMOD accessories to host weapon without effecting point of impact.

The original DD RIS II extended past the standard FSB through the use of a cutout in the upper rail. It also used 2 machined screws to lock the lower portion in place. Once the screws were removed, the rail pulls down from the front, then out. In the below picture you can see the 203 mounts that swing down.

Here is a picture showing the early DD RIS II on a military upper, with the M203 installed.

Daniel Defense was awarded the RIS II contract, and several changes were made to the rail system. The most obvious was losing the Front Sight Base (FSB), and going with a low profile gas block. This increased usable space on the upper rail, as well as extended the sight radius.

The DD RIS II A2 rail was originally designed as a rail for the M16A4, but found itself equally at home on a carbine. Pictured below are a few of the configurations that I ran the upper on. Its worth pointing out that the barrel shown below is on a prototype melonite barrel that is 16", and not the military carbine length of 14.5".

Below the upper is shown with some other prototype equipment, and is being worked with a MIL team on a M4 carbine lower.

Included in the modifications was removal of the external head screws, with those being swapped out for flat head screws which are flush with the rail. This allows for mounting of lights or other items directly over the screws. More obvious was the removal of the standard FSB, which is the design that finalized the rail. To the best of my knowledge, this was the first time that the US Military has utilized the M4/ M16 weapon system with an extended rail and folding sight.

The below pictures show the currently issued DD RIS II rail on a Colt 6721 lower (PRI sights are not issued items).

Installation of the DD RIS II rails is pretty straight forward, and the Guide to installing DD Lite rails can be used for complete information as they install in the same manner. Removal of the Front Sight Base (FSB) and barrel nut/ Delta ring is required off the host weapon, and a low profile gas block is used to replace the FSB.

Shown below are the rail, barrel nut, locking collar, and 6 screws.

The DD RIS II has spun off additional rails at the request of SOCOM, with the most well known being the MK18 rail.

I will update this thread with pictures and additional information after SHOT 08, when there may be something new to announce.

SHOT 08 revealed Daniel Defense had a third rail in their military RIS II series. The designation is GL/ SSC, and is designed for 12.5" barreled weapons.

GL/ SSC= Grenade Launcher/ Sound Suppressor Compatible

Shown below is the three RIS units all together.

Daniel Defense M4A1 RIS II FSP

At the request of military units, a new Daniel Defense RIS II rail was designed and manufactured. This rail appears to go back to the roots of the initial DD RIS II rail that was entered into the early rail trials. The Front Sight Base (FSB) passes through a slot in the top rail. This permits continued use of the standard FSB, along with the enhanced strength that the a pinned gas block brings. The should allow for armorer level installation for many Law Enforcement and MIL organizations.

Unlike its prototype sibling, this does not have screw heads which protrude from the rail sides. The bottom rail is still removable for grenade launcher attachment, but a flat head screwdriver will need to be used to remove the four screws. Once this is done, the bottom sections pulls away, and the grenade launcher mounting points swing down for easy access.

While shown below with black type III anodizing, the Daniel Defense M4A1 RIS II FSP is also available in the SOCOM specified FDE type III anodizing as well.

Is there a way to "Decode" a US Military service number from WWII?

Is there a way to decode a US Military service number from WWII service.

What can we find out by the military service number??  For example can we find out when they joined the military?

For example  Francis X Lavallee  Serial number 20114562

And what about Joseph W. R. Sevigny  6137273

Both of these individuals died during the war.  So no military records available to find out their past.  For example Lavallee was in Artillery before he went for training to fly planes.  He died in a training accident.  So they, military,  have him assigned to the US Air Corp but no record of when he join the shore battery of Artillery here in Massachusetts.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  thank you.

Re: Is there a way to "Decode" a US Military service number from WWII?

What is probably going to be the best use to you is the Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File (Enlistment Records) which covers most enlistees from 1938-1946. It's searchable by serial number. It will give you the place of enlistment, the date of enlistment, their grade, branch, year of birth, civilian occupation, and component of the Army, among other information.

Best of luck in your hunt!

Re: Is there a way to "Decode" a US Military service number from WWII?
Theresa Fitzgerald 13.06.2016 14:55 (в ответ на Stephen Baxter)

While the Army and Air Force records from 1912 to 1963 were effected by the St. Louis fire in 1973. We have been able to reconstruct some of the military service of Francis Lavallee. You may request this record by completing a Standard Form 180 and mailing it to:

National Personnel Records Center

Unfortunately, the record of Joseph Sivigny was completely destroyed in our fire. You may also request both of their Individual Deceased Personnel Files by writing to:




Re: Is there a way to "Decode" a US Military service number from WWII?

I discovered that if the person had applied to the VA for a pension his service record may have been sent to them.  If your people were in the VA system, there may be a chance their records exist there.

Re: Is there a way to "Decode" a US Military service number from WWII?

I found three web pages (see below) that deal with the &ldquodecoding” of military service numbers from World War II.  According to these sources, the first two digits of the 8-digit serial number for Francis X. Lavallee indicate that he served with the National Guard in World War II.  I confirmed this when I found his record in NARA’s Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File (Enlistment Records).

Things got more complicated when I tried to decipher the meaning of the remaining six digits. For instance, the third digit ("1") could mean that he went into the National Guard from one of the New England states . or from Hawaii! I know, Hawaii was not a state yet, but see the Wikipedia entry below for more details. The remaining six digits may also give some clues as to when he joined the military but I did not drill down deeper to try to figure that out.

I have summarized below how the three web pages address the National Guard connection for Lavallee's serial number.

(1) &ldquoHow to Decode a WWII US Army Serial Number,” by  Amy Johnson Crow:

First digit = 2 = federalized National Guard service

"When you have an 8-digit serial number, the second number shows the Service Command. This narrows down where the person enlisted or was drafted. If you have a serial number for a member of the WAC, look at the number after the letter prefix. There’s an exception. Remember those serial numbers that begin with &ldquo2,” showing National Guard service? You need to look at the 3rd digit. (The second digit for those will always be a zero. You knew there’d be some exception, didn’t you.)"

Third digit = 1 = Connecticut Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

(2) &ldquoUS Army WWII Dog Tags” by Alain Batens:

&ldquoNational Guard (1940) start with digits 20, followed by a third digit (indicating Corps Area/Service Cd)”

(3) " Service number (United States Army)," by Wikipedia:

&ldquoBeginning in 1940, National Guardsmen who were federalized were given Army service numbers in the 20 million range with numbers ranging from 20 000 000 to 20 999 999. Guardsmen federalized from Hawaii were issued service numbers beginning with 20 1 while 20 2 through 20 9 was used randomly by other states.”

Re: Is there a way to "Decode" a US Military service number from WWII?

I'm sure you have already found the answers you were seeking but just in case you're still looking then the suggestion made by aabney2016 will yield some useful results on the 2 individuals you cited. Lavallee's info can be found by using the name and service number you listed. Sevigny's info is there as well but he is listed as Joseph W.P.R. Sevigny. Search either under his full name or just under the surname and then select him from the list.

This doesn't tell how to decipher a service number it it should provide the basic facts you were seeking. Requesting the actual records, if available, as suggested by Therese Fitzgerald may provide more detailed answers.

Early years and first reign

Mehmed was the fourth son of Murad II by Hümâ Hâtûn, an enslaved girl in Murad’s harem. At the age of 12 he was sent, as tradition required, to Manisa (Magnesia) with his two tutors. The same year, his father set him on the throne at Edirne and abdicated. During his first reign (August 1444–May 1446), Mehmed had to face grave external and internal crises. The king of Hungary, the pope, the Byzantine Empire, and Venice—all eager to take advantage of the accession of a child to the Ottoman throne—succeeded in organizing a Crusade. Edirne was the scene of violent rivalry between the powerful grand vizier Çandarlı Halil, on the one hand, and the viziers Zaganos and Şihâbeddin, on the other, who claimed that they were protecting the rights of the child sultan. In September 1444 the army of the Crusaders crossed the Danube. In Edirne this news triggered a massacre of the Christian-influenced Ḥurūfī sect and conjured up an atmosphere of panic and arson. When the Crusaders laid siege to Varna, the reigning sultan’s father was urged to come back from retirement in Bursa and lead the army. The Ottoman victory at Varna under Murad II (November 10, 1444) put an end to the crises. Mehmed II, who had stayed in Edirne, maintained the throne, and after the battle his father retired to Manisa. Zaganos and Şihâbeddin then began to incite the child sultan to undertake the capture of Constantinople, but Çandarlı engineered a revolt of the Janissaries and called Murad II back to Edirne to resume the throne (May 1446). Mehmed was sent once more to Manisa with Zaganos and Şihâbeddin, newly appointed as his tutors. There Mehmed continued to consider himself the legal sultan.

Seeking to correct DD-214 by adding awards & commendations

How do I go about having awards and commendations added to my DD-214 that were not put on it originally?

Re: Seeking to correct DD-214 by adding awards & commendations

Do you have any additional information. It really depends on branch of service, and really what you are trying to prove. Give you an example my father spent 28 years in the Army Reserves and was never issued the Army Reserve Gorces Medal.

Long story short I had obtain his pay stubs from DFAS and Annual points statement. Then submitted paperwork to the Army Awards and Decorations Branch for approval. Then they submitted orders and sent medal. Also had them correct his discharge to reject unit war credit for amphibious assult landings.

So it really depends on what branch, many have their own way dealings, and you may need to show burden of the proof.

For army you cannot Reccomend yourself

You need to find someone in direct contact or knowledge of such events. I've heard of some veterans using Congressional help in getting recommendations approved.

Re: Seeking to correct DD-214 by adding awards & commendations

I am a U.S. Army veteran.  The award is the Presidential Service Badge that I earned for time served at the White House.  I have the certificate of award, as well as the badge that is on the right breast pocket of my Class A's.  It was not recorded on my DD-214 in the appropriate box when I ETS'd and I would like to have it added.  It is an award in which those of us who received it, take a great deal of pride.  Thank you for your response.

In a subsequent reply, Rebecca has described how to have it done.  I appreciate the direction from both of you.

Re: Seeking to correct DD-214 by adding awards & commendations
Rebecca Collier 11.08.2020 21:48 (в ответ на Chad Lewis)

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Archives does not make alterations of any kind to the records in our holdings., including DD-214s  In order to request a correction you will need to submit a DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Records .  The second page outlines which address you must send it to depending on your branch of service.  Please visit the National Personnel Records Center’s web page on the topic for more information.

Re: Seeking to correct DD-214 by adding awards & commendations

Thank you for steering me in the right direction.  I received the Presidential Service Badge during my time of service, but it was not added to the awards box of my DD-214.  I will go thru your links to correct that status.

Pery II DD- 11 - History

This page features additional views related to USS Decatur (DD-936, later DDG-31).

If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Sikorski HSS-2 "Sea King" helicopter

Hovers near USS Decatur (DD-936), during HSS-2 carrier suitability trials.
USS Lake Champlain (CVS-39) is in the background.
Photograph is dated 17 May 1961.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph.

Online Image: 102KB 740 x 610 pixels

Reproductions of this image may also be available through the National Archives photographic reproduction system as Photo # 428-N-710896.

Receives serious topside damage in a collision with USS Lake Champlain (CVS-39), after suffering a steering casualty and running under the carrier's bow overhang, 6 May 1964.
Taken from the carrier's bridge. Note S-2 aircraft parked forward, and Decatur 's mainmast breaking away.
Halftone photograph copied from Decatur 's 1968 Cruise Book, page 1. The book is in the Collections of the Navy Department Library.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 107KB 740 x 560 pixels

Following her 6 May 1964 collision with USS Lake Champlain (CVS-39).
Note how Decatur 's superstructure has been crushed by being trapped under the carrier's overhang.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph, from the collections of the Naval History and Heritage Command.

Online Image: 89KB 740 x 620 pixels

Undergoing an inclining experiment, to determine her stability characteristics during the early stages of her conversion to a guided-missile destroyer, 12 August 1965.
Photographed at the Boston Naval Shipyard, Charlestown, Massachusetts.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph, from the collections of the Naval History and Heritage Command.

Online Image: 82KB 740 x 580 pixels

Undergoing conversion from a destroyer (DD-936) to a guided-missile destroyer (DDG-31), at the Boston Naval Shipyard, Charlestown, Massachusetts, circa 1966.
Halftone photograph copied from Decatur 's 1968 Cruise Book, page 2. The book is in the Collections of the Navy Department Library.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 97KB 740 x 600 pixels

UH-46D "Sea Knight" helicopter
(Bureau # 153412)

Lowers mail to the fantail of USS Decatur (DDG-31), during operations in the South China Sea, December 1968.
The helicopter is based aboard USS Camden (AOE-2).
Photographed by PH2 William M. Hopkins.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph.

Online Image: 113KB 740 x 535 pixels

Reproductions of this image may also be available through the National Archives photographic reproduction system as Photo # 428-N-1137085.

Comes alongside an oiler during underway replenishment operations, circa the 1970s.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph, from the Collections of the Naval History and Heritage Command.

Online Image: 111KB 740 x 615 pixels

Electronics Warfare Technician 2nd Class William D. Ellis works on the countermeasures receiving set on board Decatur , during operations in the Western Pacific, 16 December 1976.
Photographed by PHC Ken George.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph, from the Collections of the Naval History and Heritage Command.

Online Image: 92KB 740 x 600 pixels

Crewmembers and guests stand at attention during the ship's decommissioning ceremonies, at Naval Station San Diego, California, 30 June 1983.
Photographed by PH1 Vickie Kehoe.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph, from the Collections of the Naval History and Heritage Command.

Online Image: 87KB 740 x 525 pixels

Crewmen line the rail during the ship's decommissioning ceremonies, at Pier 6, Naval Station San Diego, California, 30 June 1983.
Photographed by PH1 Vickie Kehoe.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph, from the Collections of the Naval History and Heritage Command.

Online Image: 120KB 740 x 525 pixels

Crew members disembark for the last time at the conclusion of the ship's decommissioning ceremonies, at Naval Station San Diego, California, 30 June 1983.
Photographed by PH1 Vickie Kehoe.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph, from the Collections of the Naval History and Heritage Command.

Online Image: 77KB 740 x 525 pixels

Crew members stand at attention on Pier 6, as officers disembark at the conclusion of the ship's decommissioning ceremonies, at Naval Station San Diego, California, 30 June 1983.
Photographed by PH1 Vickie Kehoe.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph, from the Collections of the Naval History and Heritage Command.

Online Image: 80KB 740 x 525 pixels

Insignia: USS Decatur (DD-936)

Cloth jacket patch featuring the ship's emblem, as used in 1960.
Its motto, "Our Country -- May She Ever Be Right", is based on Commodore Stephen Decatur's April 1816 toast: "Our County! In her intercourse with foreign nations may she always be in the right but our country, right or wrong."

Perry is using his experience to help others who are struggling

Being on Friends from 1994 to 2004 amplified the challenges of going through such a difficult addiction. “I&aposm a pretty private person, but I was on a TV show that 30 million people were watching, so people knew. It was so public what was happening to me,” he told the Hollywood Reporter. “You can&apost have a drug problem for 30 years and expect to solve it in 28 days.”

In 2011, he went back into rehab as part of his continuing recovery. “I’m making plans to go away for a month to focus on my sobriety and to continue my life in recovery,” he said in a statement. But his trademark humor also came out: “Please enjoy making fun of me on the World Wide Web.”

Not long after that, he decided to pay it forward by opening up the 5,500-square-foot Perry House in Malibu as a sober-living facility for men in 2013. While he sold it in 2015, he’s continued being committed to helping others struggling with addiction.

He even channeled his experiences into writing a stage play called The End of Longing, which debuted in London in 2016. “It’s personal, but it’s an exaggerated form of me. Jack, the character I play, is a much different drunk than I was,” he told Variety. “It flew out of me, this play. I finished it in about 10 days. I guess I had something to say.”

While health problems still affect him (in August 2018, he was bedridden for three months from gastrointestinal perforation) and he still gets targeted for disheveled appearances, overall, Perry has come a long way since the darkest days during Friends. “You don’t recover from what I went through overnight,” he told People. “It’s a day-to-day process.”

“I&aposve had a lot of ups and downs in my life. I learned a lot from my failures,” Perry, who won the 2015 Phoenix Rising Award for helping others struggling with addiction, has said. 𠇋ut the best thing about me is that if an alcoholic comes up to me and says, ‘Will you help me stop drinking?’ I will say, ‘Yes, I know how to do that.’”

Watch the video: Myth as History: Rohls New Chronology